Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A large painting

Below is a progression of recent work on a painting of the Islesford Dock and harbor. At 24x28", it is the largest painting I've attempted in a long time. I usually avoid large pieces because they are intimidating to approach and more often I don't have the space or time to finish them. But I was encouraged to start this one at the tail end of the Labor Day Workshop last year and have been slowly working on it away from the site...
Above is the first sketch, done on site. If you prefer the painting at this stage, I'd be interested to know...
Here's what I did last month in my back yard (excuse the overexposure). Not pleased with the colors--too candy-like...
Here's what I've done in the studio...Finished?
Last month, on his way to paint Phil and Judith's poppies, Ashley Bryan saw me painting in my parents' back yard and stopped to give some tips. I was delighted by the mini lesson and also a little embarrassed because I thought it was obvious I'd tried to imitate his energetic style...
(one of 3 paintings Ashley made of sunflowers from my vegetable garden in 2006) ......................................................................................................................Ashley said it was a good idea to be away from the scene to preserve the energy and immediacy of the brush strokes. This is how lots of painters including Ashley and Henry do it: start the painting on site and then finish it in the studio. He told me also to do some more pencil sketches on site to remind myself of where the darks and lights were. So I did, and it helped...
Thanks Ashley and Henry for the inspiration and the workshop last year. I hope this is the start of more large paintings to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment